Saturday, November 3, 2012

Disappointment - A Thing of Beauty

Life is full of surprises; which ironically, is no surprise. But many times, when we are still reveling in the glow of our success is when we are blindsided by an event causing us to rethink our motives and goals. No one likes to deal with disappointments, but it is especially difficult when it comes during what should be a time of celebration. The jubilation is interrupted for sadness. The dirges of failure overpower the songs of joy. The feeling of being kicked in the gut while someone else has to remind us to breathe. We wonder, how in the world could this happen? Why me? Why now? What am I going to do? We start to scrounge for any scrap of hope; any shred of salvage in the ruins. Looking at all we have worked so hard to achieve; our plan is wiped out.
But then something new starts to take over the sorrow; just like the dawn breaks through a dark night. In the movies you can hear the score change from heavy and sad to light and upbeat. You can almost hear the cavalry mounting up; the hero is dusting off the cape. Suddenly we are reminded of Isaiah's words, you know the ones Jesus quoted in the Temple: The Spirit of God is upon Me... He has sent Me to heal the broken hearted...., To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified....and they SHALL REBUILD the ruins... As our confidence builds with every verse we read, we begin to realize our disappointment is gone, it has been replaced with hope.
Our plan, our success, has been replaced with His words and comfort. We are suddenly looking forward to tomorrow; we see His provision in place of our smoking destruction. And soon, we are signing the songs of victory once again; not so much our victory or efforts, but His glory, His love, His hope for us. These past weeks were that time for me. Early last week, I got some news that completely dissolved my perceived "success", My efforts were declared useless. I was back at square one... or was I? After I regained my ability to breathe, after the initial blow, I began to realize that God had not abandoned me, or my efforts in this past two years. I am further ahead of where I was, and I have learned some life lessons. However, the "status" that I thought I earned was lost, but was it really? I am relying on the status and success that my Father God has prepared for me. Regardless of my success or failure, My family still recognizes the anointing that God has placed on my life; and our Heavenly Father has prepared green pastures for me to recover. I am led by His Holy Spirit to preach good tidings to the poor, to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and to release the prisoners that are bound.

No comments:

Post a Comment