
I am watching a toddler, and his mom run and play up and down the concourse. The youngster has no idea that anyone is around, and doesn’t know the unwritten traveler’s rule that airports should be quiet and boring.
Laughter fills the air, with the faint sound of Christmas songs piped in from the outside world. His one concern is that his mom continues to run back and forth with him. As I watch, I realize that the mom has also ignored the light crowd around her, and has chosen to play. This is interesting to me, and I wonder if I will ever put down my agendas to just play and have fun. I am hoping the other stuffy travelers are enjoying this wonderful display of trust and joy.
Two older children arrived just after the mom and toddler boarded for their flight. These two were just as excited, but displayed it in a different fashion. A bit more composed, this brother and sister pair excitedly urged their parents to pick a seat by the window… they reminded me of the excitement I used to show when watching the airplanes from the tower. I would classify them as well mannered, but I enjoyed experiencing their excitement.
My final thought comes from the young lady who just arrived to the gate area… I noticed her coming down the concourse, different than most other travelers; she used the concourse as a model would use the runway. She noticed me looking at her, and I quickly realized that was her objective. She wanted to draw the attention of everyone she passed. I guess I didn’t pay enough attention to her as she passed by my little observation post. She strutted by three more times for no apparent reason, the last time close enough that I had to move my feet out of her way, forcing me to acknowledge her presence… actually, forcing me to think to my self, “OKAY, I noticed that you noticed me noticing you…. Now will you leave me alone?”

Somehow, each of these examples caused me to think about myself…. What do people see when they see me, unaware that I have an audience? When I see pictures of my self, I seem mad in the ones I was not prepared for. I hope I don’t look mad to other casual observers, especially the ones I love.
Travel in peace my friends, I hope your travels take you to loved ones, or bring them to you. May the peace of Christ go with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment