Evaluating my past year, I'd say I did ok, not great. I set goals just like most everyone else; I wanted to lose here, gain there, narrow this, widen that. Pretty much what everyone else did.
But what makes me different than everyone else? What makes you different than anyone else?
I got to visit with many people this past year, my list of accomplishments got longer, the list of things I wanted to do for the first time got shorter, and I created a things I want to do again. I am definitely loving my NOT-TO-DO list; it has helped to filter some distractions.
How do you set goals while being flexible to the changes that will come? I have heard and asked this question many times over the past year. I know what I want to do, but if I get locked into my plans, I don't seem to be trusting that God has a plan for me; and on the other hand, without vision, the people will perish.
The common theme that seems to string through all of my experiences and conversations this past year has been how God has created each of us for His Purposes. He had something in mind for each of us when He created us. My purpose is different than yours, and yours is different than mine; but we are responsible to fulfill our purposes.
Knowing our purpose is sometimes illusive, yet many times it is very obvious. He created us with particular interests, personalities, and skills; He uses these to help identify and focus our purpose.
Every year, I try to evaluate how I am doing as a good manager of what He's given and who He has created me to be. It sometimes seems redundant, yet always rewarding.
There are things that I want to do, but don't have time for, there are things I need to do, and there are things I shouldn't do. Somethings fit and sometimes, I don't fit.
There is a saying that 85% of what you do can be done by anyone
10% can be done with a small amount of training
and 5% can only be done by you.
Looking at my life, I have allot of distractions; projects trying to pull me in several directions, many agendas on my calendar, and meetings that are important to someone. Though I am amazed at how God helps me manage my schedule whenever anyone says, "you got a minute?".
The biggest priority for me is to keep in mind the 5% that only I can be or do, while adjusting the other things to accommodate that focus.
My mantra this year is to Filter the Distractions, Focus on the Valuable, and Finish the Important
How about you? What has been your lesson learned this past year, what is your focus for next year?
As always, if you'd like to get together, I'd love to hear your story... you are not a distraction.



No comments:
Post a Comment