Saturday, October 29, 2011

FocuS, fOcUs, foCus, focus



Last night on my motorcycle, I found myself in the middle of a rain storm. Not unusual for a late season ride in Oregon. I wasn't worried because I came prepared; I had the rain gear on, good boots and gloves, and even a thin layer of Under Armor to keep me warm.



My problem was the rain on the windshield and visor. As the rain continued, the drops would collect in front of me and almost demand that I look at them instead of the cars and the lines on the road. There were several layers of the menacing droplets, I was beginning to get irritated. I thought I would stop and wait for the rain to go by, but remembered the weather report said it would rain well into the night. I didn't want to ride in the rain and the dark.

Somewhere in there, I was reminded of a story my friend tells of perspective. Of course he had way worse than I did; at least that is what I kept telling myself to get through this difficult situation.

He was in a U-haul truck moving his family to Colorado when a seagull decided to "bomb" his windshield. He could do nothing to remove the spot, and of course it was right in the way to see. Finally, out of desperation, he hits the wipers.... and realized he just made it worse, and had to pull over to clear his vision.

The picture he drew of this event is kind of funny... because it wasn't my windshield. But the point of his story is very true: there are things that get in the way of our vision. Sometimes they are distractions, and should be treated as such; sometimes they are more than distractions, and need to be dealt with.


What is your vision for life? What are the distractions in your life? Are the distractions demanding your focus? What steps can you take to remove the distractions..safely?

No comments:

Post a Comment