Friday, August 19, 2011
Ignorance: blissful or just ignorant?
I just read the story of Daniel again, but this time there was some insight about why he chose to refrain from eating at the king's table. Apparently, eating the food set at the pagan king's table meant that you were declaring your loyalty to the idol of that king. I had seen the cycle before in the illustrations from the Israelites, but never really paid attention to the significance of their actions.
During the sacrifice process, some meat is left over, and according to Andy Stanley in his book Choosing to Cheat: Who Wins when Family and Work Collide, as a sign of your loyalty, you would participate in eating the leftovers. Eating at the king's table meant Daniel and is friends would be declaring loyalty, or giving thanks to the Babylonian gods.
In Romans 14, Paul wrote about keeping the conscience of others in mind as we go through our daily routines. And while I've tried to do that, I realize that I probably exhibit more freedoms in the way act than some others. My great grandfather had difficulty with dancing, smoking, and bowling. I am guessing he would also instruct me to know where the meat came from that I was eating.
In today's terms, what are similar signs of loyalty? Time, finances, or thought-life?
In my ignorance, I would be pulling up a chair and indulging in the feast if I were invited to sit at the king's table. Wisely, my great grandfather, and Daniel, would refrain because they knew the implications of such frivolity.
My simple prayer is that I would be made aware of what my ignorant actions really mean. Lord, save me from my ignorance!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment