Thursday, August 11, 2011

Andy Stanley, Ronnie Milsap, and a first class seat headed home



Once again I find myself on an airplane pondering my trip and recording my thoughts. It is quite therapeutic, and somehow gives me a sense of accomplishment.

This time, however, my observations are not about the people I see, but rather the person I am. I have a friend that once accused me of being pensive; so I've always tried to keep it in check. But today, well, actually this last month, I have hit several miles stones and had some speak seriously to me. I think it has finally culminated into an overwhelming out pouring.

I think we always struggle with our identity, or at least who God has created us to be. Truth be told, I love being beside someone when they discover that God actually had a purpose in mind when He created them. And while I have always had a bit of a clue what God had in mind when he created me, today's revelation is staggering... To the point that I am sitting here right now choking back tears.

Am I sad? By no means, in fact I am overjoyed, astounded at how simple it sounds, but ashamed that I have not accepted it sooner. Yes, ashamed. On several levels. Could God really know what He was doing? Will others accept the simplicity of my purpose? Can I step up to the great call of simplicity?

One time when I was reading "Pilgrim's Progress", I clearly saw my calling in the character called "Help". Another time when I prayed, I wanted to know the name that God knows me by...."Azar" was struck into my heart.... As in Eliazar. And I have come to accept these as truth. In fact, I would challenge you to come up with another option.

But what has that got to do with this outpouring of emotion I feel as I fly over this beautiful country?
It's been a long week. Many agendas, many meetings, only one real robust conversation, and a rare visit with some family... a family that is a friend of God. And as I prepared to head home, I purposed in my heart to do something that I enjoyed. Something I really miss doing as a kid.

My dad introduced me to reading. My grandpa (Clyde) shared his love for good music. And the gate agent moved my seat from the middle seat in coach. Relief, regeneration, and refreshing. The book, Andy Stanley's "Who Wins When We Choose to Cheat?"; the playlist, Ronnie Milsap; and then the realization that I want to share my heart through this blog.

Few people will start to read this unknown's blogful memoirs, and fewer still will get to this point, but if you have stuck with my ramblings so far, my challenge is this: when you discover who you are in Christ, what is more important; living out your purpose, or compromising to what others think you should do?

Don't talk yourself out of it, step up to His calling. Discover it, live it. Oh, and as always, I would love to sit down with you and talk over your ideas, find out where you a in life, perhaps help achieve your goals? Over coffee? Maybe lunch?

As God is my help,
I am here to serve,


Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment