Saturday, January 29, 2011

Silent Reminders

Today as I was driving through the country side, I saw a cemetery. A peaceful scene on this beautiful spring day. Something about it drew me in, very serene, yet somber. Each marker designated a life of someone I had never met, but many of them made me feel like I should honor them, more than simple respect, more than a simple thank you.

Each marker represented a story that I have missed hearing. Some showed a life of only 24 years, one was 92, several were part of this family, some were part of that one. One head stone read "Korea" and another "WWII", Two had Coast Guard, three I saw stated rank and US Army, and one simply said Navy. One husband had two dates, the wife only one; my heart broke for her. I paused when I got to one that had just been filled in, in fact, I think a felt a tear well up on my cheek.

When you're silent, what will your life say to others? What will your marker say about you? Will your life impact others? Perhaps its a deep subject for such a beautiful day, especially a spring day when our thoughts turn toward starts and new life. Either way, I appreciated the reverence that this stop brought to my heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment