Once again I find myself in an airport with time to write. Today I was confronted with the phrase.. "We're getting started on the wrong foot.", interestingly, the conversation had "started" 30 minutes before, and was quite healthy. And by claiming this statement, my partners in the discussion just threw the "I don't have to apply what I think you're trying to get done" flag...
So what do you do, when for a brief moment, you are offended, by tone, content, or perception? I must admit, my face and "body language" betrayed me... they screamed to the person I was talking to, and pretty much shut down the progress of the conversation. We spent the next while justifying and defending, trying to explain what we thought we meant, and what we should've said.
I walked away from the conversation with no answers to my original question, and realizing that I needed a nap... or at least that I should've just kept quiet.
What do you do when you find yourself wrapped up in a conversation that went awry... to walk away seems to communicate that you don't want to resolve it, to stay just invites more confrontation? and any word you say seems to fan the flames?
No comments:
Post a Comment