I've just finished a trip to Canada, my first one related to work. During the trip I had a few goals, to finish my coaching lessons on Health and on Family, to finish the book "The Emotionally Healthy Church" by Peter Scazzero, and to start reading "To Own a Dragon" by Donald Miller. I gotta tell you that it seemed to be an emotionally draining set of accomplishments. A very introspective time for reflection and taking inventory of where I am in life, and where I may be going.
Part of figuring out your location and destination, is to find out where you've been. I definitely believe that God has used your past to shape the person you are today, while that may not be profound to some of you, it may explain why you've had the experiences you've had.
While I was figuring out my past, I was reminded of my childhood (bet you didn't see that coming), Specifically, my fifth, sixth, and seventh grade year. I think these were the toughest years of my life....seconded by ages 32-34.
My school days were marked by moving in the middle of my 5th grade spring break. I went from being a part a popular group that ran the tether ball courts to being the unknown....the last one picked, last in the line-up for kickball....I had to learn what kick ball was...nobody liked tether ball in my new digs! Being the unknown made me sure of a few things...1) I was unsure who I was and 2) everyone else was unsure of who I was; and because of those two facts, I was uncool, unpopular.
One of the points from Scazzero's book highlighted the fact that there are always more difficulties when we're in a growth opportunity. The Caterpillar has to struggle to become a butterfly, metal has to be heated and pressed to be formed and strengthened, King David had to face some opposers in order to be considered a good king. Scazzero also points out that there are good things that occur....sometimes we have to look hard, sometimes we have to be reminded.
I was reminded of the good things on this trip. Honestly, I have no idea what made the connection for me, but the following is rated as one of my best memories....after I started thinking about it, I have a ton of "best" memories...but humor me....
Somewhere between being picked last, and ridiculed because I didn't know (or care) how to play football, kick ball, or any other such sport, I realized that I had some great friendships that formed during that period that have lasted and grown to this day. Two in particular stand out...it's more than a camaraderie that could've been formed as we waited in the line as we waited to see which one of us would be dissed this time... these guys were staples of my Junior High days. In the summer, my dad would take us camping. We seemed to learn to drive together...though they were older..so I guess I watch them learn to drive, which prepared me to learn. out of all the bad things that I experienced, or thought I experienced; these guys offer positive anchors for me to hang on to. I know I can always look back to these years and know, that God has formed my life from the friendships that I had.
I am running out of time as I wait for my next flight out of Chicago, this was only a thumbnail that I've shared, and yet is fills this page pretty well. Thank you my friends for your loyalty and perseverance, I love you both as brothers, and enjoy the awesome memories...As soon as I land in another airport, I will share of another friend. actually the flood gates are opening and I am remembering many of my friends...I will write of you all, so that others will hear of your impact on my life!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment