Monday, August 17, 2009

Family...part 2

After writing my last blog, I realized that there are a many friends that I had as a kid, many high points that I want to share with you. I guess my thought is to get you thinking of the great times in your life.

This time I am writing about a guy whose family was good friends with my family. His father is one of the first guys that I really considered a mentor...maybe he was just the first guy that helped me really understand that I had many mentors and that I could learn things from anybody. I was sad when he died.

But enough of the sad part of my story, my friend had gone away to college, I think...for some reason he had been gone along time. I think I was a senior in High school, or maybe just graduated, when he had come back for a visit. I had to work on his first night back, but he was going to stay at my house, so we would meet up later. In between his arrival, and him coming over, he stopped by the church for youth group to see some other friends. They all went out for something to eat, as was the custom "back in the day". they finished up about the time I got off work, and we met at my house and set up the sleeping arrangements: I had a hammock in my room and loved to sleep there, so he took the bed.

As we were catching up on the years that had gone by so quickly, he asked me if I was interested in any one particular. When I said no, he went on to describe the young lady he had just met during the time with our friends. As he described her, I realized that I was interested in someone...and it was her. I became worried, because up until this point, I had told no one about being interested in this girl, but I knew that I wanted to get to know her better, and find out if she liked me....but my plans were being foiled that night! I couldn't tell you what he was saying once I realized it was my hidden love interest he was saying he was interested in. But then he asked me a question that broke me out of my daze, and will ring in my head forever....."Do you think putting ketchup on my hot fudge sundae impressed her?"

"what?"... I'm not sure what I said, but I am pretty sure I was dancing with joy...or at least as much as one can in a hammock...a couple months later I dated the girl, and eventually, she became my wife. I won the girl!!! Though I did feel bad that he didn't....but I got over it. ; )

Today, nearly 25 years later, we are still good friends. We share thoughts and ideas occasionally...more often would be awesome, but that would mean either of us leaving the call that God has on our lives. I enjoy sharing time with him. It's amazing what God has done through him.

And yes, I am believing that there is a match for this big teddy bear of a man, who thinks SPAM and Gatorade is the breakfast of champions and that ketchup is an acceptable condiment for your dessert. Blessings man! And just as Johnathan and David loved each other, I can say I truly love you like a brother.

1 comment:

  1. I have tears in my eyes my friend. I wish that they were from laughing, but they come from a place of deep appreciation. This week has been one frought with backlash and painful memories- this was a soothing balm.
    I love you
    Bear

    ReplyDelete