Thursday, September 2, 2010

When I get old, I want to...


Today I saw three things that helped me determine my future, or at least how I want to be in my future.

Each was an elderly person, and each needed to be dependent on another to some degree.

The first lady broke my heart, and I could not help at all. (I HATED that feeling). Her son was with her to get her on the plane, but there was some confusion, and she had to put her purse in one of her carry on bags.... and when she got sat on the plane, she wanted her purse, but could not communicate that very well because of a language barrier. Because I was flying standby, I was the last on on the flight, and that seems to be when the real commotion began.... the lady panicked but couldn't explain why. The gate agents thought she didn't have room for her bags, but I think she just wanted her purse out of her bag... being in the way for all of this, I was able to interject a comment here and there... but I was amazed that I was being ignored; at least by some, I found a spot out of the way in the galley with the first class flight attendant... who also was being ignored for any helpful comments. the lady was absolutely heartbroken, and her son who was called down the jet way, was doing his best to translate.... Finally, compassion prevailed, and the gate agents let her back on the plane, and I was able to take my seat.

The next two ladies I observed were at the next ticket counter... I was in line waiting to get my tickets in order because somehow in the melee of the last flight, I did not have a boarding pass for this flight... and everyone knows the the FAA requires all passengers to have a boarding pass(with a hint of sarcasm). I am patiently waiting in my fifth place in line, but I am comfortable because I am #1 on the standby list. However, Mrs. Faulkner did not know that, and apparently, did not care, as she walked right to the front of the line, very strategically cutting off the man at the front of line. The ticket agent graciously took care of Mrs. Faulkner, got her a wheel chair and said "please wait here while I work on getting your seat". during the boarding process though, Mrs. Faulkner felt the need to remind them that she was there and still needed a seat.

The final Lady was a frail Betty White-ish type person. She also walked to the front of the line, but was acknowledged and allowed by all of us in line. she looked desperate, and helpless... so yeah, we let her by. She asked her question and was on her way.

My observations in all of this, people seem to go out of their way when you look helpless or seem to be in a definite need; And people get quickly irritated if you tend to be demanding and a bit selfish. Oh, by the way, it was either Mrs. Faulkner, the Betty White doppelganger, or a young uniformed airman on his way home that got my standby seat today.... I pray a special blessing on each of them.

One I prayed would see the same kindness that she has shared, and the other two I pray safe travels and that God would show them favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment