I really thought I'd be better about writing about the people who God has strategically placed in my life; the first few stories came together pretty well, and I began to make a list that I thought was interesting, but it got pushed to the side with other priorities.
This story is about a man, Sean, who is about my age, we grew up together, but went to different churches; he went to the church in town, and I went to the one in the valley. We would see each other at summer camp and other activities that our youth groups would join together on. He and his brother were pretty much cool, at least from my point of view. Then I found out that their dad's name was Mike, and that pretty much sealed their coolness (how can you not be cool with a name like Mike?). We all enjoyed hanging out doing whatever it is that you do at church camp and youth group things. I remember one church camp; we both received the call to ministry, I wasn't exactly sure what or where I was headed, but I knew I was called...and I remember thinking, I knew Sean was going to be in the ministry for sure.
As we got older, we kept track of each other, but not really in touch. We'd cross paths, and do a quick catch-up, and then our ways would drift apart. One of those times, he called and said he was coming thru our old home town, and was curious about grabbing a burger at the old hang out joint, and once we got there, we planned a round of golf for the next day. Then, a few years later, I happened to be in his town, and we went to lunch at a place that overlooked an airport ramp...three of my favorite things right there...food, friends, and airplanes.
Today, as you may know, I am a pastor for a small church in downtown Salem, reaching to Willamette University. And Sean, he is the founder of Champion Ministries dba Groundwire. Perhaps you've heard him on the radio. Sean's goal is to reach a generation for Christ. Sean has a unique gift to connect with teenagers, his messages get ya thinking, but also challenge you to reach for God's best in your life. For more information go to www.groundwire.net .
When I look back at our lives, knowing where we started, and knowing how a little encouragement from the friends around you goes a long way; I realize that God uses the seemingly insignificant, to achieve greatness in His kingdom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment