Friday, May 8, 2009

Rich Man, Poor Man....is it only a perspective?

Recently, I went to a city on business, and since a friend lived there, I called to see if he wanted to meet for coffee. He knew of a nice coffee joint around the corner from his apartment, and gave me directions. When I finally found a parking space, I walked down the street and met him, then we walked to the shop and had a wonderful time of conversation.

I've never really paid attention to peoples' income status, they just seem to be people to me. but today was different. After coffee, we walked to his apartment. It was small, but adequate. He had enough room to live comfortably, and had the basics scattered around. On the way home, I was thinking about my lifestyle, I wouldn't call it extravagant, but I have stuff, and I like gadgets...lots of gadgets. I am a member of the latest gadget club of the week. And since we just moved (well we've been in the house for a year, but we moved 3 times the year before that), I realized that I had moved several of the projects that I just had to have, but I hadn't touched them after the new wore off. Why do I need so much stuff? I am trying to pay off credit cards, and also realized, that I charged many of the things I hadn't touched...so the good deal I got is now not such a great deal, cause they charge interest.

So what's my point? If I had chosen to live simply, I wouldn't have credit card debt, and I wouldn't have too much clutter. I would still be happy, because the things that are really important are friends and family....Things to ponder while I'm writing out the bills.

No comments:

Post a Comment